Asbestos is a mineral that, although it was heavily regulated in the 1970’s, could still be a danger to you today. The fibrous material was popularly used in building projects, meaning that many of the buildings you work and live in, such as schools, hospitals, and offices, could put you at risk of being exposed to asbestos. Due to asbestos’ heat resistant and abundance in nature, they were a very popular mineral that was used in many different buildings. The heat resistant nature of asbestos made it a particularly popular pick for insulation in buildings, although it was also used in other completely different products such as brake pads and linings in vehicles. Pulmonologist Humberto Choi, MD said that among insulation and car parts, there are other places in which asbestos was used. He said that, “Before it was banned, asbestos could be found in ceilings, floors and paint because it was fireproof. It was sometimes even used in crayons.” As you can see, exposure to asbestos could happen throughout someone’s home, and even though the deadly mineral is almost completely banned now, there are still way today that you could be exposed to asbestos. Many houses that were built prior to 1980 contained the asbestos contaminated products Pulmonologist Humberto Choi outlined above. These older houses’ floors, ceilings, pipes, and insulation could possibly contain dangerous asbestos. If they experience any type of damage or if they are disturbed, it will put you at risk for asbestos exposure. When a material containing asbestos is disturbs, the tiny fiber of asbestos fly into the air and are easily inhaled. When inhaled regularly, these fibers can cause lung cancers and disease. In order to keep yourself and your family safe, it is important to remove any asbestos in your house that have been disturbed.